Great Dorset Steam Fair 2001
1914 Aveling & Porter 6 nhp Road Locomotive - Clyde
Works No. 8471 - Reg. No. AF 4478
This road loco was new to S Frampton of Farnham, Surrey, and was used for general haulage work. During the First World War it hauled trailers laden with horse manure from the stables at Aldershot. A few years after the end of the war, the engine was sold on to Fred Smith of Basingstoke, who, it is believed, used it to haul bricks from Oxfordshire. It was then sold on to someone in Cornwall. It reappeared in the Alton Towers Collection in the early sixties, and has passed through several owners during its preservation years. It is believed to be the only known surviving engine of its type.